Sunday, July 25, 2004

Life Within


When the Female and Male love birds came back from their mini-trip, they were (especially my sister) was excited to show me something.

"We got this for you! Took us a long time to find. It's very unique."

Unsure what it was, I carefully open the gift bag and took out the tissue papers.

Ecosphere.



"Isn't this unique? I've never seen something like this before."

"......... Uh...." I mumbled.

"Isn't this so Cool? Look, shrimps. And the algae will provide food and oxygen"

"Yeah... I know."

"Do you like it?"

"I actually had seen this before. Last year, at Macy's. When they were promoting this thing as the new gift idea."

The female love bird turned to the male one... "Oh, so he's seen it. It's not new to him."

Looking through the glass sphere, I saw some red shrimps swimming around... In circles.

"Sorry, but I cannot take this."

Both of them looked at me... "How come? You can put this on your desk."

Then I explained to them how I felt when I first saw it at Macy's... It attracted my attention for a split second. As soon as I held one of the spheres in my hand, and looked at the living being living within the glass container... I felt the chill rushed up toward the back of my head.

It was the most horrible thing I have ever seen.

I seriously don't like the idea of "Playing with life" or having control over helpless little creatures... In control of their lives... Watch them, like a game... For personal pleasure.

The male love bird said..."But those Shrimp were born in that world. They wouldn't know that there are more... To them, that's their Ocean."

I replied, "I don't give a damn about how they feel. The problem is, I *know* what an Ocean is like. And I cannot just watch those shrimps living in an entrapped environment. I just think that's cruel. Very Cruel."

Then, disappointed, the Female Love Bird went to discuss the refund policy of the Ecosphere.

I hate to see my sister feeling disappointed. But this time, I just couldn't take what she had to give.

If I was 10 years younger, I would have no problem keeping the Ecosphere. I will probably decorate my entire room with them. Watch them live and watch them die.

During my childhood, I grown two bottles of Sea Monkeys. One got too dirty, so I dumped them into the toilet... And the other one... I accidentally knocked the glass bottle onto the floor... And the shrimps eventually got mopped away.

I didn't felt a thing.

We also had a big fish tank, filled with a bunch of fish. We feed them, watch them eat, and then watch them swim back and forth aimlessly...

It was natural, for me to see them living within the tank.

It's their life. To be watched and feed.

There's one thing that I hate about myself. I really hate how I was back in the childhood. I was one cruel heartless little B*tch. If I can travel back in time, I would totally spank and slap the sh*t out of the young me.

*Sigh* Now this Ecosphere thing got into my head, I couldn't get it out of my mind...

Those poor little shrimps....

******************
While writing this blog, I came across the Sea Monkeys Watch. And as described....

"The face of this unique five-function digital watch is a rugged, water-filled bubble that can hold one or two adult Sea-Monkeys for up to 24 hours. (Then transfer the Sea-Monkeys back to their home tank.)"

Have they ever thought that during the transfer process, the kid might accidentally drop the Sea-Monkey, or blew them away with a sneeze? And they actually think the kids will remember to dump the Sea Monkeys back into the tank?!

I don't think so.

Those Sea Monkeys that were brought into the Watch would probably be forgotten, and then die.
*****************

No comments: