Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Holiday Back Track 3: New Year's Eve.


To celebrate the New Year's Eve, my family (along with my sister's BF) and I went to this boba place whose owner is a friend of my family's friend's friend's friend's sister. (We get discount on all drinks)

Oh, what is boba? Well, it is a bigger version of a regular tapioca that are usually found in puddings. In Taiwan, where boba is first produced, people mixed the big tapioca ball with milk tea. Thus, became the famous Pearl Milk Tea that spread its yummy taste to all parts of the world. If you live in Southern Orange County (in California), you should definitely check this place out. They have really nice fresh boba drinks.

Anyway, at the boba smoothie shop, we met up with other 2 families and friends that we know for the longest time. (My family know them since we first moved to United States.)

Right after I stepped into the shop, Mrs. Wang came up to me.

"Ah, Ah-Wayne, you are so tall now. I can still remember how short you were few years back."

"Milk, it does a body good." I replied.

Both of Mrs. Wang's daughters are married. I can still remember the youngest daughter during the High School days... Now, she has a husband. She waved at me while holding a baby in her arms.

My sister went up to her.

"This is the baby!! How Cute!" Said my sister. Who, is the 3rd oldest girl among the three families, yet, still not married.

Then my sister introduced the male love bird (her BF) to others.

Like someone won the jack pot, everyone got excited and want up to the male love bird. Asking him all sort of questions. (They were treating him like an object, rather, a new toy. A boy toy) They all seemed happy for the female love bird, of finally found a boyfriend.

After getting some food and drink, I sat on the bench. Looking all everyone. The families, parents, their children and friends.

Then all of the sudden, two little boys came and stood in front of me.

I looked down.

Their mom, my sister's friend approached.

"This is Wayne Sue Sue (Uncle in Mandarin)."

The two boys remained silent. They were too young to talk.

At that moment, my soul was frozen.

I remember just FEW years ago... (more like, 8 years ago) Those adults would introduce me to their children as Big Brother Wayne. And now, I have advanced to an Uncle level?!

Then a little girl and her sister came, and starred at me.

Their mom came... "Say Wayne Sue Sue."

"Wayne Sue..."

I cut them off before they get to finish the complete sentence.

"No No No. Call me Wayne Kuo Kuo (Older Brother in Mandarin) or Da Kuo Kuo (Big Older Brother)"

Then Mrs. Wang padded me on my shoulder.

"Aiya, you shouldn't teach them the wrong way to address you. Their mother is same age as your sister. They call their mom Mother, therefore, they call your sister Auntie. And you are your sister's brother, so you have to be Uncle. It is the proper way to show respect."

She left me speechless. I didn't know what to say. (Because she's right.)

Through out the rest of the night, I was surrounded by children. Those who can speak, called me Wayne Kuo Kuo. I have successfully brain washed them. But deep inside my heart, a new virtual band-aid was in the process of covering up the newly made wound.

That was the second wake-up call that I have gotten, that made me came to realized that I have aged.

(The first wake up call came from my co-workers, when I fist joined the department, everyone asked me how many kids I have...)

Being addressed as Uncle Wayne, marked the age - the boundary line of a new generation. Majorities of the people that I went to High School with, got married. Eddie, whom I had a crush on, has 4 kids. (Bumped into him and his family at Sizzlers last year) I am no longer the person that was once called an Older Brother.

I have aged.

And I'm continuing to age.

Soon, they will call me Daddy. Sugar Plum Daddy.

No comments: