Monday, October 27, 2003

Food Place of the Day


Republic Restaurant/Bar/Noodles
37 Union Square West
New York City, NY 10003
Tel: 212-627-7172

So, it has been how long since I did a restaurant review? Too Long! I mean, it has been so long, that my favorite 1 dollar hot dog booth has migrated to another location that I couldn’t find. (No more Hoe Dog lunch for me…)

Republic, a restaurant that sits among other unique competitions in the ever-so-crowded Union Square.

Since I have always been a fan of dry noodles , that I ordered the Chicken Udon – It is basically regular Japanese udon mixed with Spinach & Coconut Milk sauce. (Yeah. Weird. I know. ) It is served semi-warm with chopped chicken and veggies. And you know what? I Love it. I love it and love it and love it and will probably not order it again. Since it cost me freakin’ 8 dollars. I mean, 8 dollars for a bowl of noodle. I can get more for 3 bucks at China town. So, it was more of a once-in-a-life-time deal. Not unless someone take me to that restaurant again and offer to buy me 5 bowls of those. (Just Kidding)

On the website, the photos of the restaurant interior look really bright. But in reality. It is not. My sister, Male Love Bird, and I went to Republic approx. at 7:15 PM. It was dark enough outside, but the moment I stepped into the restaurant, I felt like I was about the faint. Because the inside is even darker than the outside. My eyes couldn’t adjust to the sudden change of light, so I stepped in to the restaurant with great caution. But at the moment I saw the extremely pretty-faced-nice-body-hot-sexy-and-dreamy host dude, my eyes started to regain their focus. And of course, the focus was on him. Everyone else was just black blahs.

We sat on the table that is located right at the center of the common area. And the more exciting part was, there were no lights above our table. So, our source of light really depend on the neighboring lights.
But still, there were enough lights that would make the menu-reading easier. (Since it was a full house, there weren’t any other seats available)

Around 8 PM. The Lights inside of the restaurant got darker. Make it even harder to see what exactly I was eating. And the lights got darker and darker and darker….But oh well, the food was great.

The Good: Unique and yummy food.
The Bad: If you don’t have your own infrared eye goggle, then you are doomed to go blind.

No comments: