Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Yo Soy Chino


So this past weekend, I worked as an Extra for an Indie film.

The scene took place in 1950's 'Chinatown' - With the crew magic, a small town in Upstate New York turned into a full-bloom Chinatown. (Okay. I lied. It was only 1/2 of the block that got 'coverted' - but still looked cool)


(Camera crew ready to shoot!)


My part, as an extra, is to play a Chinese guy.

I mean, how hard could that be? I *am* Chinese after all.

But who knew, other extras get to dressed up as solders with awesome looking uniforms, some with traditional robes, fishermen's vest and hat... and 50's spy-ish suit. The wardrobe guy gave me outfits that made me look like a freakin' thug.

or Paper-boy.

Whatever you call it.


(And I was riding a bicycle down the street!! How Chinese!!)


"Oh, Wayne, you do look like a Communist." Said an extra.

"I'm missing the red star to go with my hat." I replied.

So, during the early afternoon, we worked on the day-scene. Were I rode the freakin' bike back and forth and back and forth for the 40th time.

But during the 'down-time' there were a lot of waiting.


(Waiting and Waiting. I took the hat off - cause it was so HAWT!!)


I don't remember much on what I did before the day turned dark.

Probably hung out with other guys back at the holding area.

Took a nap or something.

After the production people fed us some Pizza, it was time to shoot the Night Scene.

Due to the fact that it was a low-budget film, that they have to re-use the extras.

I harrassed and stalked and bugged the crap out of the wardrobe guy.

"I wanna something shining, flashy, nice textured, pretty, long... Like that one Chinese dress!" I pointed to the extra who wore a tradition velvet Chinese dress.

He looked at me.

I looked back.

He then glance back to his rack of clothes.

Then the gay wardrobe guy said...

"Um. We don't have any dress that fits you."

SO I settled for a PIMP suit.


(Sly Sly Freakin' Sly)


But the time everyone was done, it'd passed midnigt - by the itme I got home, it was 4 in the morning.

Oh joy.

No comments: