Monday, January 05, 2004

Holiday Back Track 1: Excuse Me, Excuse Me, Sir.


Like a typical day for a traditional Chinese family. My family (and my sister’s BF) and I decided to have a family lunch at a Cantonese / Vietnamese Restaurant. Called The Sea Food Cove.

To be honest, the place is very sh*tty. Since the restaurant is extremely popular among the people in the area, there would always a line of people waiting for tables. In order to please everyone and earn every bit of money as possible, the restaurant really done their best in making more room for the guests. Upon walking into the restaurant, I saw portable folding tables along the walk way. The usual 4 table got pushed toward the side, against the wall, and create room for the waiters to move around.

I felt like I was at a flea market.

The Sea Food at the restaurant is extremely good. My family and I just had to come to eat.

And of course, to keep the tradition of the toilet/restroom talks, I have got write about it in my first entry for the year 2004. (Happy New Year, by the way)

So I went to the restroom.

Through the restroom main door and down to the door with the dark blue triangle sign, I pushed it open.

I heard a sound.

"Uh."

Ops, I have slammed the door against someone’s butt.

The design of this tiny restroom is so bad, that the sink is build right next to entrance. Since the door can only be pushed inward, it is in the way of whoever standing in front of the sink.

"Sorry, Excuse me."

"It’s Okay." Said the handsome Asian guy as he walked out of the Men’s Room.

I went into the stall. Unzipped the zipper, and then lower my underwear, do my business and then I zipped up, walked to the sink. (I stood side ways, on the side, so my body is out of the door’s way) Turned on the water, pumped some soap in my hands, and then rubbed my hands together gentle.

Since there were no paper towels left, I dried my hands with my pants.

Here, is where the main attraction of today’s entry starts.

As I was pushing the main door open, though the opening, I saw an old lady placing her coat over her chair. Thus, prevented me to open the door fully. I couldn’t get out of the door with the tiny space. So I waited. At the same time, there were two guys standing just on the other side of the door, trying to get in.

Please refer to the image below:

The Old Lady is red dot, Wayne is the blue one, Strange Old Man is the yellow dot, and some middle age man in green. (Blue Box is a big empty fish tank, big black circle is the table, and the long black bar is the door)


The old yellow man, seemed to not care about the situation, kept on pushing his body toward the entrance. The green guy behind him was doing the same thing. At the same time, the old red lady was totally unaware of what’s happening behind her back, she took her time sitting herself onto the chair.

As you can see, I was pretty much stuck in a ‘deadly triangle’ position. (see Below)



After the old red lady sat down on the chair, I made my way out. For some reason, the old yellow guy didn’t seem to see me, or thought I was invisible, he kept on walking toward, into me. The dumb guy behind him did the same thing.



I stopped myself, and stood in front of the old yellow man. I looked at him, and said:

"Excuse Me."

He didn’t move.

"Excuse Me, Sir." I took one step forward.

He took one step forward toward me. The green guy followed him.



"Excuse Me, I’m trying to get out."

For some reason, they didn’t seem to noticed that I was standing in front of them. Despite the fact that I’m 5’9” and they were 5’2” tall.

Then, I lost my patience…



Shifting the weight to the front of my body, I walked forward to free myself.

Couldn’t handle my body massive, the old yellow man felt back and slammed his body into the green guy’s chest, then together, both of them had their body firmly pressed against the wall. (I gained weight during the first week of my vacation, so I was BIG.)

The old yellow man was more fragile than I expected.

I stopped and turned my head.

For a moment, I felt sorry for the old yellow man. I opened my lips to prepare for the 'Sorry' word. But as soon as I saw him glaring at me, mumbled something in Vietnamese, my heart turned into an ice cube.

"Ahem, Excuse me." I said in a very cold b*tchy tone. Then I walked back to my table.

****

I’m not sure if I what did was right. Showing respect to elderly is one of the key teachings in Asian culture. I still feel guilty for having to pushed the old man out of my way. (I didn’t push with my hands, I just walk forward… Like a super model)

Even if he didn’t speak English, he should have observe the situation and wait for the red lady to sit down, and step back for 3 seconds, let me out of the door, then nothing would have happened.

No comments: