Monday, November 17, 2003

The Sunday


Warning: This is a very long entry. Read, when you feel like slacking off at work or you are really bored.

So, on Sunday, I went to the Gay Life Expo in the city. (Thanks to Henney, I got a free admission pass! – Pfft, you think I will actually pay $15.00 dollars for entering a highly commercialized promotion paradise where I actually have to pay a lot of money for stuff that I can get cheaper at the 99 cents store? Yeah right!)

But it was worth checking out though – at least, I should have checked it out on Saturday, because James from Bravo’s Boy Meets Boy was there. Which, I walked pass by on Saturday!!

Ack, did confuse you? Okay, I was actually at the Convention Center on Saturday, for the Asian Diversity Career Expo with the love birds. (Love Birds = My sister and her boyfriend) I was totally clueless that the Gay Life Expo that I read on papers is held in the same place, but in a different ballroom. At the end of the Asian Diversity Career Expo, us three went out and ready to go back to our car. That is where I spot James, on the side talking to three other guys wearing the Staff badge.

And my gawd, he looks every hotter in person. Very tall, very handsome, and very charming. But he wasn’t smiling though. Since I was with the two love birds, I didn’t had the opportunity to turn on my gossip queen mode and listen to what happened. James seemed a bit stressed. It almost seemed that he was complaining about something. (I guess he probably got groped by millions of visitor at the Vodka booth)

Anyway, due to sudden unexpected change of plan on Sunday, I went to the Gay Life Expo by myself. I called Henney that it will be myself only, going to the Expo.

So anyway, finally, Henney arrived at the Expo, gave me the Free Admission Pass.

“Okay, Wayne, let’s go int.”

Then we went in.

(Ahem, I have actually been waiting outside for 60 minutes. Based on what I saw from the window, it was very hot in there. Hot = Shirt less guys + Eye Candies + Flamers + Drag Queens + Alcohol)

The place is very crowed, in a way. (I went in at 3:30 PM) I followed Henney to the booth where he volunteered at and put my stuff there.

Henney: “Okay Wayne, we will be here to watch over the stuff. Go and have fun!”

For a second, I felt guilty. It almost seems that I’m using Henney, just to save $15.00 – I should have just stay there and hang out with Henney, keep him company.

Henney: “Remember to get all those good freebies.”

Wayne: “FREEBIES!?”

Without any hesitation, I grabbed my plastic bag and venture to get all the freebies that I can see, and left Henney at his booth by himself.

It only took me a 3 steps, to realized that I was starving. And we all know that the food in any Expo are super expensive.

Thanks to a nice fella from a booth that I don’t remember the name, I got a small cup of blue jelly beans from him. That was my miracle lunch and I swallowed them whole.
I walked around, didn’t really see anything that really caught my interest. (Expects the doggies alley. There was a entire block of booths for dog adoption and sponsorship. They were so cute.)

Around the corner, I saw a line of people.

“Oh, James is here?!”

Then I moved my body toward the booth where the line formed.

I saw… DEBORAH GIBSON! (Thanks to the big poster behind her, or else, I wouldn’t know who she is.)

Since I was ever exposed to the world of Pop Music until I was 18 years old (Before that, I was a classical music freak. I know. I was a nerd.) – Anything in the late 80’s and early 90’s, I only know Madonna, Michael Jackson, George Michael (Oh Baby!) and Paula Abdul. Everyone else was just a blur to me.

Then I look at her face.

She was wearing a very cute lime green dress with little gem stones on the shoulder strap. I couldn’t really tell the brand of the dress… Not Vera Wang… Not Parada… Not Max Mara… I was really clueless.

And her eye shadows, Lime Green on top of Apple green shade. Either Mac or Anna Sui. Only those two brand has those unique green non-transparent color with slight shimmer.

The more I look at her face, the more I recognize her.

DEBBIE GIBSON!”

Oh, that’s her! It’s the girl that sang:

Onnnnlllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy in my ddddrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaam……..Only in my dreeaaammm

And

Shake your loovvee.. I just can't shake your love….

I have seen her face from the VH1’s all about 80’s and one of the episodes on the Bubble Gum Pop Stars.

Since I have never had any close encounter with any pop-singers, I got myself in line and waiting along with other gay men. For some reason, I felt like I was the youngest person in the line. (Okay, so everyone else who is younger than me, don’t know who Debbie Gibson is. Uh, she was the Britney Spears in the 80’s! Before…They were born!)

One Step.

One More Step.

One More Extra Step.

I was closer and closer to Deborah Gibson.

There she was, sitting on the chair, signing Autographs…. Promoting her new CD… And a gentleman next to her said…”CD for 15, Poster for 5”

I picked up my cell phone and called Duckie.

“Duckie! Debbie Gibson is here! Do you want her autograph?!”

Duckie: “Tell her to sign on your chest… wait, your ass, that’s even better.”

Wayne: “Dude, do you want her autograph or not?”

Duckie: “Danni said that you should ask her to spank you.”

Wayne: “I can’t do that here?! There are people watching.”

Duckie: “Heh Heh, Spank me mama,Spank me!”

Wayne: “Bi*ch, you want the autograph or not?!”

Duckie: “Oh sure, Oh sure!”

Wayne: “Okay, you owe me 5 bucks.”

Then I hang up the phone.

I bought a CD and a mini poster from the man.

Looking over the guy’s shoulder, I saw Deborah signing the CD covers and the poster.

Mike, You Rock! Deborah Gibson.

Sal, You Rock! Deborah Gibson.

Jeff, You Rock! Deborah Gibson.

She smiled and signed with a silver pen.

And it was my term. I put on my happy Wayne smile and look at her in the eyes.

Deborah Gibson: “And your name?”

I handed her the CD cover. “Wayne. W-a-y-n-e.”

Deborah Gibson: “Hi Wayne.” Then she looked down and start writing on the CD cover.

I handed her the poster. “And this one is for my friend, who is your biggest fan in California.”

Deborah Gibson: “And his name?” She smiled.

Wayne: “Duc. D-u-c.”

She paused for a sec, then start writing on the poster.

After she is done, she raised her head.

I smiled at her. “Oh, thank you very much. I’m so thrilled to see you here.” (even though I’m not really a big fan of her, but heck, she’s a celebrity, right?)

She smiled back.

Then I moved out of the line, with my CD and poster.

I looked down the CD cover and saw:

'Wayne, Happy Holidays! Deborah Gibson.'

Then I look at the poster.

'Duc, Happy Holidays! Deborah Gibson.'

Happy Holidays?

Did she meant… Thanksgiving? Or Christmas? I mean, I don’t rock? Does this mean that I have to wait until Christmas before I give the poster to Duckie?

How come she didn’t write that I rock?

Uh, Why?

Then I went back to Henney’s booth.

“Look, I got Debbie – uh, Deborah Gibson’s autograph.”

Henney: “Oh yeah, its D-E-B-O-R-A-H now.”

I put my stuff away, and sat next to Henney.

Henney: “The Cheer NY cheerleaders are going to perform now. You should go check it out.”

Oh yeah, I complete forgot! And Faustus might be there too!

So I went up, behind a bunch of gay men, to watch the performance.

The first thing I noticed, was an Asian kid, constantly had his tongue sticking out.

Okay, that was a little distrubing. I know that having a great smile is very important to a cheer performance. (Thanks to MTV’s Camp Jim, I have learned so much about cheer leading) But with a TONGUE sticking out? I mean, the entire time, I was horried that he might bite on his tonue while being thrown and tossed around in the air.

Then another Asian kid caught my attention. He was constantly winking.

It was a little disturbing for me.

What happened to the smiles? Everyone else (including the girls) are smiling, then how come the Asians are doing something different?

Do they think they rock? I wondered what Deborah Gibson wrote on their autograph.

After the performance, I went back to Henney again.

“Henney, the performance was great.”

Henney: “Yeah, they are pretty good. I like that one Asian guy.”

Wayne: “Happy Holidays.”

Henney: “Huh?”

Wayne: “Never mind. Hey, you know, I think I know someone in the Cheer Leading Squad.”

Henney: “Oh yeah? What’s his name?”

Then all of the sudden, a man dressed in the cheer leader outfit came to the table.

Henney: “OH hey!”

They greeted each other. I smiled at him.

Henney: “Wayne, this is XXXX and he’s the big guy in the Squad.”

I shook his hand. “Yes. I saw you earlier. The performance was great.”

Henney: “Hey, Wayne knows someone in the squad.”

XXXX: “Oh? What’s his name?”

Wayne: “……………………………”

Then I realized, I have completed forgot Faustus’s real name.

Wayne: “I forgot his real name.”

XXXX: “Huh?”

Wayne: “I know him from the internet blog.”

XXXX: “Is he Asian? White? Hispanic?”

Then I realized, other than the fact that Faustus knows how to knit, does aerobics, writes music, play… and nothing else regarding his phyiscal appearance… But I did remember that Crash has mentioned Faustus has red hair.

Wayne: “He has red hair.”

XXXX: “Hrm, this is not helping much.”

Wayne: “Oh, it is okay, don’t worry about it. Just say Hi to everyone for me.”

(Sorry Faustus, I haven’t been taking my Gingko Biloba tablets, my memory is failing me)

Then I spent the rest of the day sitting at Henney’s booth, checking out the cute guy at the Atlantis Cruise booth across from us.

Before the Expo closed, Henney said that he’s gonna go and walk around to see if there are any cool goodies left.

Wayne: “I’ll go with you.”

Then we marched on.

While I was walking, someone pulled my right arm.

“Want a massage?”

I looked up. It was a massage theorpy booth.

There were two guys laying on the massage chair getting their shoulder hammered.

“We are closing soon. Want a massage?”

I looked at the massage chair, and looked back at him.

Wayne: “Does it hurt?”

The Man: “No, it will be very comfortable.”

Wayne: “Okay.”

I went and sat face-down on the massage chair.

Wayne: “I will not be screaming in pain or anything, right?”

The Man: “Oh, I be very gentle with you.”

Wayne: “Oh. Good. I guess.”

Then he started to massage my shoulder.

The Man: “1 minute for a dollar. 10 minutes for 10. How long do you want?

Sh*t, I didn’t know it costs money. I thought it was free.

Wayne: “uh, how about five minutes? I gotta go meet my friend.”

The Man: “10 minutes minimum.”

Wayne: “Okay, 10 minutes.”

The massage went on. And I didn’t feel anything.

Wayne: “Okay. I lied. Make me scream. I like pain. Harder, Harder!”

The Man: “Okay.”

I just want to get my 10 minutes worth the money. (I’m cheap. I can’t help it)

Then after the 10 minutes, I jumped off the massage chair.

I smiled at him. “Pretty Good. Thanks!”

I paid the 10 dollars and walked away. And it was actually just an “okay” job he did. Good techniques, but he was tired, having been massaging people all day, that he just lack that extra strength in his fingers.

Then I found Henney, and I grabbed a cookie from the Double-Tree Hotel Booth, and then said good bye to him.

“Time to go now. Thank you so much for the pass.”

Henney: “Anytime.”

No comments: