Friday, September 19, 2003

Aroma-Therapy


I meant to submit this entry to blogger this past Wednesday, but I never get to finish it on time until today. So, here it goes.

Aromatherapy has been around and has been practiced in one form or another since the beginning of civilization. It is the art, and science, of using oils extracted from aromatic plants to enhance health and beauty. Apart from the physical benefits, essential oils can have subtle effects on the mind and emotions. The essential oils taken from plants and used in Aromatherapy have been described as their "life force" - they are essential to the plants' biological process, as well as being the substance which gives them their scent. Essential oils are extracted from flowers; herbs; spices; woods and fibers, usually by distillation, expression and solvent extraction. Solvent extraction is only acceptable for Aromatherapy if the solvent used is completely removed after the manufacturing process .

I had an Aromatherapy treatment on Wednesday night. Right after I got off work. Well, not “right after” – Since, after I get off work, I have to take the subway to the train station (20 minutes), and then take the train back (35-40 minutes) home, and then walk to the apartment (5 minutes). So, let me rephrase myself. I had an Aromatherapy treatment 1 hour and 5 minutes after I got off from work.

Feeling extremely exhausted, I inserted the key into the gate on the first floor. Like usual, I take the stair instead of the elevator, since I’m still working on reducing the layers of fat on my tummy.

Just as soon as I opened the door to the stair case, I smelled something.

Sniff Sniff

It was something that I couldn’t describe. I wasn’t sure if I can consider it a good scent. It wasn’t too bad. At least, I didn’t faint.

I proceed and walk up the stair.

Sniff Sniff

It got stronger. But I still couldn’t figure out what it could be.

“A dead Rat?” I asked myself.

Step by step, I made my way up and stopped in front of the entrance to the floor. And, the strange scent came from the other side of the door.

I turned the doorknob and open the door. Immediately, the strong aroma rushed up my nose.

“Damn it. Someone spilled vinegar on the carpet.”

“At least the maintenance guy fixed the broken light at the hallway. I wonder if he knows about the carpet.”

Sniff Sniff

The carpet is nasty.

“It’s pee.”

But didn’t smell like it. It smelled like someone dragged a dead rat across the hallway… No, it was more like someone rubbed the dead rat into the carpet. That must have explained the strong odor from the carpet.

Sniff Sniff

“This is nasty.”

Then I walked to my door. Ever since the male love bird has become a regular to our (my sister and I) apartment, I have developed this habit of pressing my ear against the door, listening for any sounds before entering.

Like what I expected. I heard the male lover bird in there. Cooking, probably.

As soon as I open the door, a mass warm air engulf my entire body. I felt like I was caught in an invisible sponge. I felt the invisible wall pressing against my body and pushing me back.

Slowly, the air crawl into all openings on my face. My nose and my mouth. Ears too, probably.

“OH MY GAWD.” I screamed inside my head.

I rolled my eyes and open the door fully.

“Hey Man!” – the male love bird said to me from the kitchen.

With a smile on my face, I nodded my head.

I dashed into the apartment, shut the door, and head straight to the bathroom.

I removed my suit as fast as possible, and put on my T shirt & Shorts.

I jumped out of the bathroom and hang my suit on the hanger, zip-up the suit protection cover, to prevent the suit from absorb any of the nasty odor.

“Uh… What are you making?” I asked the male love bird as I turn on the fan.

“Something I invent.”

“Oh, uh, what’s this smell?” I pushed the windows out – wider.

“Probably the dried shrimp skins.”

“Shrimp skins don’t smell like this.” I joined him in the kitchen.

“I fried them.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, this is going to taste good.”

“Sure, of course. Anything I can do to help?”

“Nah.”

Then I went to prepare the table, layout the chopsticks and napkins. Turned on the TV, and allow my nose to get used to the aroma around me.

“Do you know what she will say when she comes in?”

“No. Hrmm, Yum?!”

“She is going ask where did this smell came from.”

“Is it that strong?”

“You have no idea what went though my mind when I open the door.”

“Oh”

Then he continues to prepare other dishes while I chop up the fruits.

After 20 minutes. All dishes are sitting on the table, and us two on the chair (I sat on my own chair, and he saw on the futon. ) watching TV.

Then she came back.

And I was right, the first thing that came out of my sister’s mouth was:

“What is this nasty smell?! I can smelled it from the first floor!!”



Just a FYI, the shrimp-stuff didn’t taste like what it smelled. It was okay. But again, the aroma in the apartment may have already destroyed my central nerve system and sense of judgement.

No comments: