Thursday, July 24, 2003

You have no idea how bad I feel


Just this morning, like always, I gotta have myself a cup of Starbucks coffee.

Actually, I had two this morning.

I finished my first Venti size machiato while I was on the subway to work. Then, I decided to get myself another one, near work.

So, I went.

There was this huge long line waiting to pickup their order from the little tiny counter on the side.

And I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

"Venti Iced Machiato!"

Finally, there it is. I quickly grab the cup and stab it with the venti-size straw.

But, I didn't realize how FULL my coffee was.

Right at the moment, where the straw hits the lid, drops of coffee spew upwards.

Instead of landing on my precious black suit, they landed on the arm of a man.

This man was standing next to me. Leaning on the little counter.

"OH, My gosh, I am so sorry!"

"I mean, really, I am so sorry!!"

I said to him, while looking at him straight in the eyes.

Then, in my mind, I heard:

"Wayne, you have to pay him for the dry clean."

"Yeah"

"So, give him the money"

"But how much?"

"Three dollars."

"Well, that's the rate at Sunny's Laundromat."

"You don't know the rate in Manhattan."

"So, five dollars?"

"Well, I think that's a bit too much."

"Three dollars should be fine."

"But I don't have small bills."

"So, what are you gonna do?"

Still looking at the man.

"I...."

Then this word came out of the man's mouth: "SHIT."

He turned his face away from me.

And, that's it.

"Sorry about the mess."

Then I walked out of Starbucks.

Seriously, I felt bad. I mean, I'm still feeling really bad as I'm typing this blog entry.

No comments: